The Friends of Sleeping Bear Dunes spent over $70,000 in support of a wide variety of projects at the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. The largest projects in 2017 were maintenance of the Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail, Beach and Trail Accessibility Projects, and the snowshoe program for 4th graders. Click here to see our annual newsletter that describes some of the projects and includes a list of projects we funded. For those of you who want more details about all of the projects we funded in 2016, click here.
What’s in the Plan for 2018?
We will definitely be busy in 2018 with our ongoing volunteer programs, but there will also be several big projects that we will need your help with. We will need volunteers AND donations to accomplish these big goals next year.
- Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail – Annual Operations & Maintenance ($25,000)
- Kettles Trail in the Bow Lakes Region of the Park – We will be building trail and parking lot in 2018 ($40,000). The first part of the trail from the parking lot to an overlook at the nearest kettle will be accessible (packed crushed stone).
- A new accessible walkway and platform at the Maritime Museum beach ($15,000).
- Replacement of the dock at Bass Lake (Benzie County) and accessible trail near the lake.
- Supporting the Park’s Environmental Assessment for the Echo Valley Mt. Bike Trail.
Click here to make a donation for one of these projects or our General Fund.